Securing An Internship
As early as sophomore year:
- Meet with advisor and career services to make plans for an internship
- Plan for how many credits and plan electives so internship will fit into program
- Start to explore what functional areas are of interest and what organizations to target
- Seek out people who have done internships or currently doing internships - perhaps job shadow an intern
- Prepare a preliminary draft of learning objectives. Think about five major things you'd like to gain from an internship experience
- Register with Career Services, providing an idea of what you are seeking and an estimated date for doing the internship; this will help us in the matching process of internship openings to available students
Early junior year:
- Complete any of the necessary steps outlined above
- Work with advisor, career services, internship director (Mr. Peter Gilbert) and on your own to seek internship opportunities
- Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements and follow the guidelines ("Student Internship Guidelines and Requirements")
- As you apply for internships, keep advisor, internship director and career services informed. Get preliminary approval from the internship director and career services to ensure you're on the right track.
- Internship needs to be a new learning experience that ties in with your major; no credit for current jobs.
- Get all the necessary information from the employer (job description, duration, number of hours per week)
- Finalize the learning objectives in consultation with the internship site mentor (supervisor) and academic advisor and complete the learning contract, including attaching the job description
- The learning objectives need to be clearly consistent with the job description and your major, and will be used in evaluating your internship performance.
- Submit the learning contract to the internship director and career services for signatures
- Get approval and signatures from your advisor and division chair
Get signature from internship site mentor (your supervisor who will oversee your work)
- Submit the completed "Learning Contract" to the internship director
Work with your advisor to get registered for internship course and confirm schedule for the internship seminar
- Re-read the Student Internship Guidelines and Requirements and ensure that you complete all the course requirements