- Ph.D. in Sociology from Syracuse University
- M.A. in Sociology from Syracuse University
- B.A. in Sociology from Colby College
- Certificate of Advanced Studies in Women’s Studies from Syracuse University
Karen Macke is a critical qualitative and cultural sociologist whose work focuses primarily on collective life and group practices within organizations.
Areas of Expertise:
- Qualitative and Applied Social Research Methods
- Sociology of Gender and Sexuality
- Introductory Sociology
- The Sociology of Sports
Interests and Experience:
Macke’s interests in teaching and research span broadly across sociological areas of social movements, organizations, culture, gender and sexuality studies, religion, family, and sports.
Her dissertation research examined the salience of organizational culture as a factor shaping Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregants’ collective action efforts in support of LGBTQ social justice.