Student Interning with Accounting Firm BerryDunn This Summer

Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2018

cassidy pinkham

Cassidy Pinkham ’18, M.B.A. ’19 is spending her summer as an audit intern at BerryDunn in Portland, Maine. She says it’s been a great opportunity to utilize her classroom learning from Thomas and apply and develop it in real world situations.

“My favorite thing about my internship is that every day I am learning something new. I have had the chance to work within multiple, different audit industries to get a broad learning of what auditing entails,” says Cassidy.

Cassidy grew up in Poland, Maine, on a direct road with a lake just a two-minute drive away from her childhood home. She loved growing up in a close-knit community. Her brother was a Thomas student when she started looking for colleges, so she decided to take a look.

“I chose Thomas because I was impressed with the H. Allen Ryan School of Business and knew that my time and money here at Thomas would be well spent,” she said. “I also fell in love with Thomas’s welcoming and kind community.”

Attending Thomas College has been life-changing for Cassidy. Her relationships with staff members and professors have helped foster her passion for accounting, and her leadership experiences on campus have helped her grow as a person.

“I have met so many wonderful people here at Thomas and now think of Thomas as my home.”

Both Cassidy’s first internship and her studies have shown her how crucial internships are.

“Internships allow students to learn more about the field they are earning a degree towards and can either confirm or alter their perception of their ideal job after graduation.”

Cassidy said finding her internship wasn’t hard with the help of Thomas College’s Career Services department.

“Thomas invited local accounting firms and businesses on campus to conduct interviews. The Career Services department made students aware of application deadlines and scheduled interviews around classes,” she said. “Career Services also held workshops for students to learn more about internships, interviews, and professionalism. After my interviews, firms contacted me back regarding second interviews and internship offers. The process was simple.”

Cassidy is happy with her summer internship in accounting at BerryDunn. She’s been able to realize just how passionate she is about her career choice.

Cassidy’s dream job is to be a principal at a public accounting firm.

“This dream will take years to fulfill as there are many positions below a principal, but my interest in accounting is strong enough to keep me motivated and determined to accomplish this goal.”

Reader Interactions