Published: March 17, 2020
Dear Thomas College Community,
I want to begin by thanking each and every member of the Thomas College community—students, parents, families, faculty, and staff—for your patience, support, and action as we navigate through these uncharted seas and finalize our transition to online learning. I will continue to share with you our updates and policies as they become available.
I understand and share the urgency in the questions we are receiving from students and families. The College is moving deliberately but swiftly to address them all. Every decision we make and the order in which we are making them is, first and foremost, for the health and safety of our Thomas College community.
Here are the latest updates from the College:
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- We are on schedule to begin remote instruction for all students (undergraduate and graduate) Monday, March 30, 2020
- We are working diligently to provide all necessary trainings and technology support for faculty, staff, and students
- ROOM AND BOARD REFUND POLICY
- The College is working to create a refund policy for pro-rated spring room and board charges. We are confirming all federal financial aid guidelines concerning these policies. Final policy determination is expected to be made by next week and will be communicated to our students and families as soon as it is available
- CAMPUS RESIDENCY
- Today and tomorrow, our most pressing task is to ensure remaining resident students depart as quickly and safely as possible. I urge our resident students to depart as quickly as possible for their own health and safety and the health and safety of the communities to which they will shortly return
- A reminder that Thomas College will close all campus student housing Wednesday, March 18, 2020 by noon to all students who did not receive an exception. Once closed, students will not be allowed to return to housing. Housing will remain closed for the remainder of the semester
- FACULTY AND STAFF
- The College has issued new Human Resource guidelines for staff making the transition to working from home and future campus access. These are available on the COVID-19 landing page
- The Welcome Center and mail room remain open through Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Beginning Thursday, March 19, 2020, both will begin operating with restricted hours, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. EDT until further notice
- Beginning Friday, March 20, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. EDT, the College will begin restricting access to buildings and select areas on campus
- This week we will launch a re-designed Coronavirus landing page that will include a streamlined Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section as well as archived announcements and news
I’d like to acknowledge the tireless commitment of all faculty and staff who have been working throughout this period. Their commitment to safeguarding the health and safety of the entire College community embodies the very best of who we can be during the most difficult of times.
With deep respect,
Laurie G. Lachance