The Higher Education Workforce Grant is made possible by the Maine Department of Education and supports the success and graduation of first generation and/or low-income students majoring in areas identified as priority career fields for Maine workforce development.
Grant Package Details
- Up to $6,000, for up to four years of full-time study (totaling $24,000), in “last gap” funding, determined on a case-by-case basis
- Textbook voucher, for Thomas College Bookstore, of $500
- Laptop with an estimated value of $850
A limited number of grant packages are available each year.
- Entering Fall 2023 through Fall 2024
- Undergraduate or graduate student
- First-generation student and/or eligible for a Federal Pell Grant
- Accepted into one of the following degree programs:
- Education (Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary)
- Criminal Justice
- Global Sustainability
- Environmental Science and Policy
- Computer Science
- Computer Information Systems
Undergraduate candidates must complete the online financial aid appeal form, noting that they would like to be considered for a Higher Education Workforce Grant.
Recipients will be selected by Senior Director of Student Financial Services and Director of Admissions based on the eligibility criteria above and the date of application.
Graduate students will be selected by the Senior Director of Graduate and Professional Studies and the Senior Director of Student Financial Services based on the eligibility criteria above.
Transportation stipends will be available for costs such as gas, car repair, air or bus tickets, taxi fare, etc. Recipients have to meet the eligibility criteria above but can receive a transportation stipend even if they have not received a grant.