Where do I start? What do I need to do, and when?
As early as your sophomore year, start making plans for your internship. Talk with your advisor and Professional and Career Development about the requirements of the program. Plan your electives to make sure you can fit an internship into your program during your junior or senior year.
- You must have completed 60 credits.
- You also must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA. If you fall below this, see your academic advisor or career advisor.
Student Internship Process:
- Make sure to talk to your advisor. Internships start at 150 hours for 3 credits but can be more.
- Register for the Internship Seminar through your advisor or the registrar.
If you need help finding an internship, your career advisor can help you search and prepare application materials.
NEW: LEARNING CONTRACT PROCESS:
- Meet with your advisor to discuss the internship and five possible learning objectives.
- Discuss the objectives with your employer.
- Complete your Internship Learning Contract on Handshake
- Log in to your Handshake account
- Click on Career Center
- Click on Experiences
- Click on Request an Experience
- Complete all the questions asked
- Once you have completed the form click request an experience. This will take you to the overview page
- Select the LEARNING OBJECTIVE button on the far right and add your five learning objectives
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact your career advisor! We will guide you and support you through the process. It is our goal for you to have a worthwhile experience that meets your needs.