As early as sophomore year:
- Meet with advisor and Professional and Career Development to make plans for an internship
- Plan for how many credits and plan electives so internship will fit into program
- Start to explore what functional areas are of interest and what organizations to target
- Seek out people who have done internships or currently doing internships – attend the Internship Expo at the end of each semester, or job shadow an intern
- Prepare a preliminary draft of learning objectives. Think about five major things you’d like to gain from an internship experience
Early junior year:
- Complete any of the necessary steps outlined above
- Work with advisor, Professional and Career Development and on your own to seek internship opportunities
- Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements and follow the “Student Internship Guidelines and Requirements“
- As you apply for internships, keep your advisor and Professional and Career Development informed. Get preliminary approval from them to ensure you’re on the right track.
- Internship needs to be a new learning experience that ties in with your major; no credit for current jobs.
- Get all the necessary information from the employer (job description, duration, number of hours per week)
- Finalize the 5 learning objectives in consultation with the internship site mentor (supervisor) and academic advisor and complete the learning contract, attaching the job description if available.
- The 5 learning objectives need to be clearly consistent with the job description and your major and will be used in evaluating your internship performance.
- Get approval and signatures from your advisor; division chair; internship site mentor
(your supervisor who will oversee your work).
- Submit the completed “Learning Contract” to the Professional and Career Development department using Handshake by requesting an “Experience”.
- Work with your advisor to get registered for internship course and make sure you understand the academic requirements for grading, which will be completed by division chair.