Although AI tools have been increasingly incorporated into educational environments over the past years, the recent availability of Generative-AI to the general public has made the calls for AI-Literacy ubiquitous.
- What I Mean When I Say Critical AI Literacy: A blog post by digital literacies thought leader Maha Bali.
- AI Literacy, Explained: Overview of how to begin developing AI literacy for educators.
- Teaching AI literacy: how to begin: A collaboration of Times Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed that suggests a starting point.
- What is AI Literacy? Competencies and Design Considerations: Research article from the Association for Computing Machinery.
- AI literacy might be ChatGPT’s biggest lesson for schools: From MIT’s weekly AI newsletter.
Components of AI Literacy
- Basic Understanding: Know the different types of AI, how they genrate results, and how their functions differ.
- How-to Use Generative-AI : What can you do with AI? Apply basic AI skills to be used in different scenarios.
- Critical Evaluation of Generative-AI Outputs: Use higher-order thinking skills to evaluate, design, and predict generative-AI outputs. Critique and revise prompts to generate more focused results.
- Ethical and Societal Issues: Have students evaluate biases, fairness, transparency, privacy, and general impacts of AI in society, including how they can use AI ethically. Consider the risks and benefits of AI.
- Elements of AI: Free online course to demystify AI from the University of Helsinki.
- AI in the Classroom – webinar series: AI in education and media literacy.
- AI4K12: Resources for K12 teachers provided by a joint initiative of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence and the Computer Science Teachers Association.
- How to develop AI literacy amongst educators and students: Suggestions for both the early adopters and those who are approaching AI more cautiously.
- Library Faculty Services
Among other services for faculty, the library maintains a set of pages related to various aspects of Artificial Intelligence including general overviews, or go to a specific topic by selecting one of the following links.
- Uses in Higher Education and AI Best Practices
- Course Policies Recommendations and Academic Integrity
- AI Tools and Resources
- The Intersection of AI and Education
Training and Professional Development
For further training and professional development opportunities please keep an eye out for email announcements.