Thomas CARE Team – Referral Form
(Campus Advocacy Resources and Education) Team
Members of CARE Team
The CARE Team meets regularly during the academic year. The CARE Team is comprised of representatives from different areas of the campus community. Additional members from the campus and community will be included in meetings of the CARE Team as necessary.
- Director Health Services
- Student Success Rep
- Athletic Rep
- Faculty Rep
The role of the CARE Team is to:
- Educate and empower the campus community to recognize, report, and effectively address aberrant and concerning behaviors;
- Gather information provided by the Thomas community to assess situations involving students who display concerning or disruptive behaviors and develop and implement an appropriate action plan;
- Act proactively to assist students;
- Connect students with needed campus and community resources;
- Maintain confidentiality and handle all matters discreetly;
- Recommend interventions or action as appropriate;
- Monitor ongoing behavior of students who have displayed disruptive or concerning behavior.
The CARE Team process does not replace faculty classroom management, residence halls protocols, disciplinary processes, and/or public safety responses to incidents.
How to Make a CARE Team Referral:
What to Report
- Personal Safety Concerns: self-injurious behaviors, depression, excessive crying, fatigue, change in appetite/sleep/hygiene, negative thinking/hopelessness
- Personal Distress: marked change in previous level of performance, significant relational/social isolation/withdrawal, worrying, anxiety, lack of resiliency, major changes in family/social/relational,
- Erratic, Disruptive or Disturbing Behaviors: disturbing to faculty/staff/community, acting out, emotional outburst, screaming, high energy output, overly aggressive, anger management, behavior that disrupts normal functions of the College
- Alcohol and drug use/violations: that necessitate a hospital transport, medical intervention, or dramatic increase in alcohol or drug use
NOTE: IF YOUR CONCERN REQUIRES AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE PLEASE CONTACT PUBLIC SAFETY OR STUDENT AFFAIRS. If a report requires emergency or immediate response, the VPSA and/or Dean of Students can take immediate action in accordance with existing protocols and Student Conduct Code procedures.
- Submit online form—sent to—VPSA & Counselor
- Once form is received—CARE Team evaluates each report during regular scheduled meetings. The Team determines the appropriate action for each individual and will identify the individual who will be responsible for follow-up; which may or may not be a member of the CARE Team. The person submitting the report may be contacted for additional information or clarification.
- Potential Outcomes*:
- No formal action/further observation
- Informal action (ie: Res staff check in)
- Refer student to existing resources on-campus
- Refer student to appropriate off-campus resource
- Make other recommendations consistent with college policies and procedures
*= students who disagree with the intervention and/or fail to comply with agreed upon outcomes may be subject to appropriate campus protocols or Student Conduct Code procedures.