Published: August 18, 2021
To the Thomas College community,
On behalf of Thomas College, I am so excited to welcome our full community back to campus in the coming weeks!
The College has just published its Fall 2021 Return to Campus Safety Plan. This plan has been updated to reflect the most recent safety and mitigation policies recommended by our partners at MaineGeneral and the Maine CDC.
The plan reaffirms our commitment to protecting the health and safety of the entire Thomas College community while still delivering the in-person, personal, and “nearly-normal” on campus experiences that are the cornerstones of a Thomas College education.
As the pandemic continues, we must remain nimble in our response to sudden changes. The new Delta variant and the impact it may have on the Fall 2021 semester are not yet known, but I do know we will all rise to meet those challenges as we have before. Thankfully, COVID statistics today are on our side–Maine is one of the highest vaccinated states and still has one of the lowest rates of infection in the country. These are encouraging markers as we begin our time together this fall.
Below are the key takeaways from the plan as you prepare for the start of term. We encourage you to read the plan in more detail.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required for all in-person students, faculty, and staff. All students, faculty, and staff on campus must be partially or fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have submitted their vaccination cards to the Health Center (students) or Human Resources (faculty and staff) before you arrive on campus, no later than Tuesday, August 31, 2021 (instructions below)
- All vaccine doses must be administered and completed vaccine cards must be submitted by September 30, 2021
- Vaccinated community members will not be required to test
- Vaccinated community members are not required to wear masks/face coverings on campus unless clearly communicated by the College. The College will monitor and publicly display the community spread rates for Kennebec County every business day. Fully vaccinated students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to wear masks according to their level of comfort
- Unvaccinated (those with an approved exemption) or partially vaccinated community members will be required to participate in additional mitigation protocols such as masking and testing until full vaccinated
- Classrooms and offices will return to normal capacities
- Dining will remain de-densified to provide an extra level of safety
- Campus guests are required to wear masks if they are not vaccinated
- All housing guests, including overnight guests, must be fully vaccinated
Thank you for taking the time to review and digest some of the most critical components of our Return to Campus Safely Plan. Please direct any vaccine related questions to VaccineQuestions@thomas.edu or general COVID policy questions COVID19@thomas.edu.
Do not forget:
- Log into MyThomas and sign the Terrier Pledge before September 6, 2021
- Submit any outstanding documentation before you come to campus (health forms (including vaccination cards), picture IDs, etc)
- Residents are asked to register for a move in time slot prior to arrival. This will help avoid large crowds and maintain campus safety. More information on this process will be sent to residents
- If we all do our part, take responsibility for our own safety, and protect the health of the community members around us, we can all enjoy another year of living, learning, and working together on our beautiful campus.
With deep respect,
Laurie G. Lachance, President
- Scan and email the vaccination card/exemption form (please be sure to conceal your date of birth)
- Take a photograph of your vaccination card/exemption form using your smart phone and email (please be sure to conceal your date of birth)
- Deliver a photocopy of the vaccination card/exemption form (please be sure to conceal your date of birth)
- Bring your original vaccination card form to the Health Center (students) or Human Resources (faculty and staff) and the College will make a copy
- Students, new and returning may upload a copy of the vaccination card/exemption form via myThomas and/or the New Student Day dashboard (please be sure to conceal your date of birth)