To the Thomas College Community,
As the start to the fall semester draws closer and the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic persists, many College athletic organizations around the country have been forced to cancel their fall athletic season to ensure the health and safety of their communities.
Unfortunately, I must share that the North Atlantic Conference (NAC), in which Thomas College is a participating member in 11 athletic programs, announced the cancellation of all fall 2020 NAC competitions and championships.
While disappointing, I pledge to our athletes that Thomas College will create a meaningful and exciting modified athletics season for fall 2020. The rigorous COVID-19 testing regimen that the College has invested in this fall opens the door for new athletic opportunities.
Our season will include:
- A new pre-season return date (to be announced shortly) – to begin building team culture
- Robust strength and conditioning, team training, individual technical training
- Up to the maximum allowed competitions with colleges and universities with similar testing regimens
- Leadership and mental toughness programs
- Leveraging our outdoor campus facilities (including a full 5k trail system) and resources to create new wellness and recreational opportunities for our entire College community
- Leveraging community partnerships with local businesses and organizations to expand athletic and recreational opportunities
NCAA Division III student-athletes will not be charged with participation for the 2020-21 season if the individual competes in 50% or less of the sport’s maximum contests/dates of competition due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thomas College student-athletes are courageous, resilient, and proud. While I am absolutely heartbroken that we will not have a traditional season this fall, I cannot help but feel positive and excited for the unique opportunities that we will create together that will build even stronger team and community foundations for our bright future. Even while we adapt to the changes that COVID-19 has forced on us, I am confident as ever that together we will help strengthen the bonds of Terrier pride for the entire Thomas College community.