Elementary Education Degree Overview (K-6)
The Elementary Education program offers learning built on the idea that a caring, culturally competent, motivating and challenging environment is at the heart of successful schools. Students have opportunities to explore the art and science of creative teaching through the resources of the Center for Innovation in Education. You’ll experience authentic, hands-on courses that are engaging, inclusive, and innovative and will lead to unique field experiences and student teaching placements.
Preservice teachers who graduate with an Elementary Education degree from Thomas College will be professionally certified to teach Kindergarten through 6th grade in Maine.
Prepare for a Career In:
- Elementary Education Teacher
- Educational Technician III
“The School of Education has helped me to grow as an individual because they pushed me to develop a variety of different professional skills. They have given me the skills that I need to become a lifelong learner and educator. My professors have taught me that as a teacher it is very important to become a lifelong learner and keep up to date with the latest research and instructional strategies.”Lauren Hay ’21, Second Grade Teacher, Madison Elementary School
At a Glance
- 121 credit hours
- 3 year option
- Over 920+ hours of classroom experience upon graduation
- Partnerships with professional organizations, including EducateMaine, who provide access to Maine and County Teachers of the Year
- 99% job placement rate
- Explorations in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics)
- Trauma-informed Education and Social Emotional Learning
- Foundations in Literacy