A digital badge is recognition for learning outside of the typical classroom environment. It is verified by an external entity and is skills and experience based. It incentivizes learning, measures growth, and creates pathways to careers (Reelworks, 2020). Digital badges represent achievements that can increase your employability by demonstrating the application of skills and knowledge in that area. Digital badges can be shared widely on platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, via email, or embedded in a website.
- Make connections to people and resources while completing a project of their choice.
- Earn verified and validated credentials for highly sought-after skills.
- Articular and share their skills in a way that increases their employability.
- Develop their personal brand and be able to share that in a digital space.
Digital Badge Offerings
First Year Skills
The Digital Badging Program at Thomas College is designed to help increase your employability. The key to your success is to be able to articulate what you know and are able to do by using clear examples and evidence. During the First Year Experience (FY110), you will have the opportunity to practice this process while earning some of digital badges that will help you develop skills that will help throughout your time at Thomas and connect you to important resources.
Career Ready Competencies
In order to increase the employability of our students, Thomas College offers them the opportunity to earn validation for several highly-sought after skills. Students are able to demonstrate these competencies through a wide variety of experiences AND can earn more than one badge at a time if their project satisfies all of the requirements. Each semester, students who earn these badges are invited to a special celebration or “badg-u-ation.” These badges also qualify as a Professional Credential of Value for the Guaranteed Job Program.
Professional Development Programs
Thomas College is known for offering high-quality professional development in the key professional areas of business, innovation, and information technology. These badges can be earned by completing the professional development course and earning an 80% or higher on the final assessment.
For learners who want to engage in more than just a course, but less than a full degree program, the College has created a number of opportunities to earn a Specialization in a specific field. Specializations combine a variety of courses from the College’s non-credit online and in-person course catalogs. Upon successful assessment of all required courses, participants will be awarded a specialization badge that memorializes their achievement.
Digital Badging Earning Event
- November 9, 2022 from 4-5 p.m. and November 10, 2022 12-1 p.m., in the Summit Room
- Earn digital badges on the spot and begin eligibility process for Badg-u-ation.
- December 7, 2022 from 4-5 p.m. in the Summit Room
- Receive recognition for badge earning.
Impact On Campus
2021 – 2022
View Our Badges
Note: You can view the badges you have earned by signing into either Badgr or Credly.
Claim Your Badge
Students can submit their badge evidence via the Digital Badging Moodle Site (only available to Thomas Students, Faculty, and Staff) OR they can talk with staff who have the ability to award badges via a QR code. Directions for claiming the badges are below:
- Claim a digital badge that was issued via email / Moodle.
- Claim a digital badge that was issued via a QR code.
Learn More About Our Digital Badges
In these videos, current Thomas College students explain more about how the program works.
- What is a “Digital Badge”?
- Digital Badge Eligibility & Support
- Digital Badge Example Projects
- Digital Badge Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about earning digital badges or partnering with Thomas College for a digital badging project, please email email@example.com.
Thomas College Digital Badging Program by Thomas College is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.