Press Release
Thomas College Announces $1M Grant to Boost Science Instruction MacKenzie Riley Young | April 10, 2024

WATERVILLE, MAINE, April 2024 — Thomas College is proud to announce it has been awarded a $1M grant through the Maine Department of Education for “Chemistry Connects,” a project to boost science instruction at the College. The grant comes with a special focus on developing talent for Maine’s workforce and increasing the number of individuals possessing post-secondary work credentials, including Pell-eligible, low-income, and first-generation students.  

The grant will fund the creation of a new chemistry lab at Thomas College and include new lab prep and student work/research spaces. The expanded lab space on campus will enable Thomas College to increase the number of students enrolled in lab-based courses each semester and increase the number of students graduating with degrees that align with Maine workforce priorities. Chemistry Connects compliments other public sector workforce priority areas outlined in Maine’s 10-year economic plan with new and expanded academic programming options at the College.

Renovations will begin this summer and be completed by the beginning of the fall 2024 semester.   

“These new lab spaces will benefit students especially in areas such as Criminal Justice, Environmental Science, and Education,” said Thomas College Provost Dr. Thomas Edwards. “We are investing in providing our students with the science and technology skills that they—and Maine—need.”

“Science at Thomas College is growing, and we are ecstatic about this opportunity to provide new spaces and technology for our students to learn and experiment,” said Thomas College professor and faculty senate chair Dr. Alicia McCarthy.  

Approximately 80 percent of the total costs of the project will be financed through The Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) program, a part of the American Rescue Plan (ARPA), for a total dollar amount of $1.1 million. The remaining 20 percent of the total costs of the project will be financed by matching funds from Thomas College.  

About Thomas College:   

U.S. News and World Report consistently ranks Thomas College as a top college in Maine for social mobility. Our clear career focus and one-of-a-kind Guaranteed Job Program™ makes it possible to advance faster in the arts and sciences, business, and education. Earn an undergraduate degree in three years and then choose from a variety of in-person or online graduate degree programs that can be completed in one-year or two. Located in Waterville, Maine, Thomas College is your pathway to a promising future, guaranteed. For more information, visit www.thomas.edu or contact MacKenzie Riley Young at [email protected] or 207-859-1313. Find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and TikTok